Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Just the Three of Us

Well it took me two and a half months to do it, but I did it. I took both kids to run errands by myself. It's not that I've been avoiding doing this, I just haven't had to do it. With both Mike and I at home, it's convenient to run errands by myself or just take one kid which makes running errands so much easier. But with me going back to work soon, I thought I better get used to being out and about with two kids so I can give Mike a break on my off days. I suggested to Mike he do the same because he hasn't been out solo with both kids yet either. E and Cora are pretty easy going, but a toddler AND a baby adds a different dynamic to outings no matter how good the kids are.

Now I understand this is not some great parenting feat, moms and dads go out with two kids or more all the time by themselves. However, I have to admit I had some level of anxiety as E, Cora and I headed out to Target and Trader Joe's. You just never know what can happen.

Overall, the outing was a success. Target was a breeze except for Cora's poopy diaper. While browsing the baby aisles, I got a whiff. Yep, it was time to go. I did a quick once over her diaper area and it seemed everything was contained. We could make it through the checkout line and then change the diaper. Things were under control, until I got to the bathroom to change Cora. I neglected to restock the diaper bag after being on the road so much over the past three weeks. I only had two wipes. Two wipes to clean up a mess. I made it work and thankfully the paper towel dispenser was right next to the changing table. All was well again. Next stop, Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's on the weekdays is usually a great place to shop with kids. Not a lot of people and a smaller environment to contain a toddler. However, I just happened to pick the day when their delivery truck was late. So there were employees all over stocking the shelves. It made the store much more congested which meant keeping closer tabs on E. I had also opted to wear Cora in the baby carrier and let E walk because the carts at TJ's are smaller and I needed the space for my groceries. Normally it would have worked out perfectly, but again,  all the congestion made it more chaotic. Trying to grab my sugar snap peas over an employee wearing a baby is not ideal. I also forgot my list so I found myself wandering the aisles trying to remember what I all needed causing the trip to drag on. E was getting restless so it was time to go.

By the time I made it to the checkout, I was sweating and felt pretty beat. As I was walking out of the store I also felt a little more confident. It was like going through a right of passage on my parenting journey. I successfully took both my kids out in public and we all three survived.


No comments:

Post a Comment