Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Times They are a-Changin'

Things are shaking up in the Gesellchen house. I’m getting a new work schedule starting the 2nd week of June. I’ll be working Saturday – Monday 5pm to 6am. This is very different from my current schedule of Tuesday – Friday 5am to 4pm. I knew my schedule would be changing and I was able to put in my request for what would work best for me and my family. I was fortunate enough to get my 2nd choice. However, this will be an adjustment with our schedules at home and we’ll have to figure some things out. We are fortunate that Mike is an at home dad, otherwise I don’t think this schedule would work for us if he had a job outside the home.

There are some definite downsides to this schedule.  My sleep schedule will be all out of sorts.  I’ve spent 2 years waking up for work at 4am and going to bed before 10pm.  I don’t even know the last time I saw midnight let alone stayed up the entire night.  Most people have the weekends off and I won’t be able to see my family and friends without some planning ahead.

I’m focusing on the positive side of this new schedule and as I really started to think about things, the positives are outweighing the negatives.  I work 3 days a week and still maintain full benefits and pay.  Not too bad.  Working over nights, I will still get a Friday night and some of Saturday and I can pretty much get my whole weekend by just taking 1 day of vacation.  The new schedule will also be less stressful than my current one as far as work load and team management. 

I’m excited for this new opportunity and to have 4 days off with my family.  This adjustment will be challenging but I know we can make it work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment